Tuesday, July 26, 2016

BOOK REVIEW// FALLING BY JANE GREEN



I just finished reading Falling by Jane Green and all I can say is - jeez, louise. 

I definitely had a lot of thoughts and feelings while reading this book. I really don't think I have been this frustrated by the ending of a book, possibly ever.

Things I Liked:

I don't usually read "women's fiction" or "romance" - and I'm pretty sure this book falls squarely in both of those camps. And while there were many things I disliked, see rant below ; ) I did really like the natural relationship that formed between Emma and Dominic the two main characters. I happily bought in, and it wasn't even hard for me- which is a big deal! Usually it is so easy to pick apart the awkward, stilted way these things seem to come together. Jane Green did an excellent job of creating a relationship that seemed to grow quickly, the way adult relationships sometimes do- without adding too much "fluff". No epic, sweeping ness that made me roll my eyes- it felt very real. Which I appreciated and enjoyed reading for most of the book.

Things I Didn't Like:

Unfortunately that is about where the things that I liked about the book ended.

Because I bought in - and then I was betrayed. I was betrayed by what felt like one of the most rushed, bizarre, and terrible endings to a book EVER.

I could not possibly recommend this book to another person because of the "twist" that occurs about 96% percent of the way through the book. This total bomb of a twist had me saying what the hell and slamming the book down..gently...because it was on my kindle, and we are in love.

I just *couldn't even* with the twist and it totally cheapened the whole book for me. You know when someone irritates you and then it's like everything they do is irritating, even the things that wouldn't normally be all that irritating- yeah, even they start bugging you. That is this book for me.

I checked out how it was doing on goodreads after I came to grips with how it ended - and some people are really loving this book! Maybe twists like this are standard fare in her books or this genre. What do I know? But there were also a lot of people who feel like me - which is always nice : )

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/932001620



Many thanks to Berkley Publishing Group for giving me an advanced copy of this book to read.

While the book was free, as a girl who is "all about the library" ( where books are always free) - you can be sure that all opinions are mine!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!