Thursday, December 1, 2016

Top 5 Favorite Moments from "Talking As Fast As I Can" by Lauren Graham


I laughed, I cried, I gasped - and I feel so incredibly happy and lucky that Gilmore Girls was rebooted this year for Netflix. If you haven't watched A Year in The Life yet or (gasp!) if you haven't watched Gilmore Girls yet, you should definitely give it a shot! My hangover from Gilmore Girls was only nursed because I knew the next week Lauren Graham's new book would arrive on my door step. It did- and I read it in a day! I absolutely *loved* "Talking as Fast as I Can". Here are my top five favorite moments from this hilarious, insightful, and tear jerking memoir of essays!



1. Lauren Graham discussing her constant on set tears during filming Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life

"Normally, saying hello to someone in the beginning of a scene is not the emotional high point for the character or the actor. I was just so happy to see him again. My normal state of happy-to-see-someone does not usually involve tears, but on this show tissues were handed to me a lot."

I can so relate to this feeling! I got teary watching the Gilmore Girl reboot *and* I got teary reading Lauren Graham's book! And just like she describes in the book, it is hard to put a finger on why I felt so emotional. I have watched Lauren Graham on a television show for the last 15 years of my life, and that's just a lot of invested emotion! It was sweet to hear how emotionally connected Lauren was with the experience of filming the new Gilmore Girls episodes.

2. Lauren Graham's Season by Season break down of Gilmore Girls

I've heard Lauren, and several other actors now that I think about it, say that they do not watch themselves on television or in their movies. So I was surprised and delighted when I read that she sat down and watched Gilmore Girls so that she could comment and reflect on each of the seasons. It felt very "Gilmore Guys" and I really enjoyed reading her poke fun at her hair through the years and how much things have changed since the episodes originally aired ( pagers are commonly mentioned !) . It is always fun to get a behind the scenes peek at your favorite show, and this book definitely delivers there!

3. Lauren's Borrowed ( and Brilliant) Writing Tip

I have already used the steps Lauren mentions in her book that help her when she is writing- and it totally works! You'll have to read the book for the tips, but I use it all of the time now and it has made for much more efficient reading and blogging - total wins!

4. Lauren on her Old Timey Alternate Persona, Old Lady Jackson ( or as the internet has already coined her OLJ)

" Just look up for no reason, just for a moment here and there, or maybe for an entire day once in a while. Let the likes go unchecked and the quality of sleep go unnoticed. Que sera sera my dears - whatever will be will be, whether we are tracking it on our GPS devices or not."

I can so definitely relate to the feeling of giving off the "grandma vibes"- pretty sure I've been the reasonable level headed one for a while. You don't become  a girl about library not town overnight, after all! I absolutely loved the letter that Lauren included from her alternate persona. It is such a great reminder, especially now that I have my son. Nothing is more important than spending real time with others or just with yourself and I really appreciated this chapter in her book.

5. Lauren's writing another novel!

YAYAYAYAY! I recently read her first novel "Someday, Someday Maybe" and loved it! Check out my review here! I wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised in the best way. I can't wait to read what she writes next.

Frankly, I could list a hundred moments from "Talking As Fast As I Can" that I absolutely loved - I mean look at the ridiculous but obligatory picture I took with this great read : )

If you enjoyed Gilmore Girls or Parenthood and need a Lauren Graham fix every once in a while, like I do- I definitely recommend this book! I'm waiting for my library to get the audio version, because this book would be even funnier and more life affirming if I listened to Lauren read it herself. Now I'm off to set my device down and follow the good advice of Old Lady Jackson!


Have you read "Talking As Fast As I Can"? What did you think of the book!? What is your favorite celebrity memoir that you have read? Thinking about reading this book? Click here to find a copy at your local library or click the link below to view the book on Amazon.com.




14 comments:

  1. Great review! I think you're right that listening to Lauren's voice on the audio version would be even more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to get to this one. I want to listen to it because well I imagine her narrating would be great. I love GG and Parenthood so I think I will love this. Happy to hear she is writing another novel. I liked her first too. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks : ) You'll love the book, Grace! I am waiting for my library to get the audiobook so I can listen to it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to get my hands on a copy of this book! I love her on both GG and Parenthood, so I should definitely check this one out. I am definitely intrigued by her writing tips and I also would love to read her first novel as well. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really can't wait to read Lauren's book. I've asked for it for Christmas so hopefully Santa will think I've been good enough this year to get it, haha. So glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am dying to read this. I love Lauren Graham and Gilmore Girls so I know I'll love this. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne, it was amazing. Rooting for Santa to come through for you ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Christina! If you enjoyed both of the shows you will love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally missing out on the Gilmore Girls thing...I'm interested in watching it because everyone on Twitter has been losing their mind about it. Perhaps after i watch the show, I'll grab the book.

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love this post! My mom wants to read this book so badly - I think I'll grab it on Amazon for her and then read it when she's done. xD The Gilmore Girls revival was incredible...I didn't want it to end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks : ) And you absolutely should read it - if you enjoy her and GG you will love this book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol yes Twitter has seriously been non stop Gilmore Girls since Thanksgiving. If you feel like binge watching a new show, Gilmore Girls would be a great one to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's an awesome Christmas gift! I was sad when it ended, too! I waited so long, and it flew by so fast!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!