Wednesday, September 6, 2017

September 2017 TBR


I'm trying for a really good reading month, guys! How about you!?! I am trying my hardest to set myself up for success. Keep reading to see what books I will be reading ( I'm super excited for them!) and some tricks I am using to have a good reading month!


September TBR



The Lies of Locke Lamora
by Scott Lynch

goodreads // amazon // library

I really, really struggle with books that fall under the genre of fantasy. Which is a major bummer because fantasy is HUGE right now. This book came across my radar because of the booktuber, Kristens Library ( check her out, she is so great!) She reviewed the book in a wrap up and said that she really enjoyed it- that it was fantasy, but a lighter amount. And that is definitely something I can get behind! Maybe reading a couple of light fantasies will help ease me into the genre a little. I am just terrible at suspending disbelief for dragons and werewolves...I think my love for Harry Potter just ruined me, and now he is the only one for whom I can tolerate fantasy!



Landline
by Rainbow Rowell

goodreads // amazon // library

Every time I read a Rainbow Rowell book I want to READ ALL THE RAINBOW ROWELL BOOKS : ) And I am definitely on my way to that goal! I resisted reading this one, because it has some science fiction-y elements to it. Yep, I struggle with reading science fiction, too. Sorry, not sorry - maybe kind of sorry? But here is a tip for sitting yourself up for reading success - have some books you are 99% sure you are going to love on your list. I fly through books by authors that I adore, and that has definitely been the case so far with "Landline"!

Dark Matter
by Blake Crouch

goodreads // amazon // library

This book has been on my radar SINCE FOREVER... well since last summer. And it was huge! And everyone loved it! And I didn't read it! But I'm going to now. Not only do I have the physical copy but I also have the audiobook. This is one of my favorite ways to knock out a book super quickly. There are just so many moments during the day when my mind isn't occupied but my hands are- cooking, cleaning, driving etc. Wasted moments when I could be reading, right? The premise for this book sounds super interesting and I bet I knock reading this book out fairly early in the month!


The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
by Taylor Jenkins Reid


goodreads // amazon // library

I selected this book as my June Book of the Month club pick ( if you aren't a member of book of the month club, I seriously recommend it. You get to pick from 5 different books on the first of each month and membership is usually around $10/ month! Click here to check it out!) And I started the book in June when I got it...but it is September and I am still only half way through it. I can't really put my finger on why I am not picking this book up, but for some reason it was pushed to the bottom of the stack. I am determined to finish it this month though!


Salt to the Sea
by Ruta Sepetys

goodreads // amazon // library

I love WWII historical fiction, so this book is right up my alley - and as a bonus, it is YA, which I have been trying to read more of lately. I am already about halfway through this book and I really like it! I was a little worried at first because the perspective changes every two pages from one character to another. Thankfully though it is hasn't made for a poor reading experience, it really feels intentional and moves the story along at a nice pace. So anxious for the ending of this one though - I have no idea what is going to happen to these characters, or what happened during the real historical event that the book is based upon.


Fates and Furies
by Lauren Groff

goodreads // amazon // library

I've wanted to read this book since Brie Larson, who I adore, posted about it on Instagram. I wanted to *love* this book! I added it as an extra book to my Book of the Month club box ( you can add an extra book for $9.99, it's amazing. check it out) but because I was traveling I missed the delivery. Not only to be easily thrown off of reading a book, I borrowed a digital copy - AND I HATED IT. I was SO disappointed. I could hardly believe that this was the book I was so excited about! The writing style is very flowery- there are a lot of descriptions and feelings, but just not enough there, there. BUT I am going to give it another shot this month, and I have the audiobook to help me in case the actual reading of it is just torture ; )


Running With Scissors
by Augusten Burroughs

goodreads // amazon // library

This is a book that I have on my TBR shelf, and I am determined to start reading more books from there. As a girl about the library, I am constantly there checking out books to read - and I am pretty good about reading those books and returning them. I am *terrible* about reading books that I own le sigh so every month I am going to try to read at least one book that I own- and this month Augusten Burroughs called my name. I have read books by this author before and they are absolutely hilarious, and I am super excited because I was able to snag the audiobook version of this from the library as well. Nothing better than having the author read a funny book - the timing is on point!


What are you reading this September? Do you think you'll have a good reading month? What do you do to try and make a good reading month happen for yourself? Check out the video below to see me talk about my reading picks for the month!



5 comments:

  1. I really need to read Salt to the Sea. I’ve heard so many good things about it. I hope you love all your September books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to Dark Matter! It was amazing! I also really enjoyed The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great TBR! So many I really enjoyed here - Dark Matter, Evelyn Hugo, Landline and Salt to the Sea. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dark Matter was EVERYWHERE last year, and I really wanted to try to squeeze it in, but never found the time. I can't wait to see what you think!! Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!