Friday, December 15, 2017

Books to Checkout // November 2017

October 2017 was a pretty exciting book month for me. "Turtles All The Way Down" released which was a book I had been looking forward to for years! But November 2017 has some extremely promising new releases as well - seven of them, actually! Keep reading to find out what new releases I think you should check out this month, or watch the video above!




Artemis
by Andy Weir

goodreads // amazon // library

Jazz Bashara is a criminal. Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent. Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first. (goodreads.com)

Why I Want to Check it Out

To start with, I am super excited to read "Artemis" in large part because of how my I *loved* "The Martian". It is one of my favorite science fiction reads, and I just really enjoyed reading that book! So, regardless of reviews and even if "Artemis" isn't as good as "The Martian", that's totally okay with me, I still want to support the author and see what his newest fiction is like. But also, the premise of "Artemis" is very intriguing and I think it will be neat to see a more science based take on what an actual city on the moon would be like. And also, I love the cover and I want to lovingly gaze upon it in person ; )


Bonfire 
by Krysten Ritter

goodreads // amazon // library

It has been ten years since Abby Williams left home and scrubbed away all visible evidence of her small town roots. Now working as an environmental lawyer in Chicago, she has a thriving career, a modern apartment, and her pick of meaningless one-night stands. But when a new case takes her back home to Barrens, Indiana, the life Abby painstakingly created begins to crack. Tasked with investigating Optimal Plastics, the town's most high-profile company and economic heart, Abby begins to find strange connections to Barrens’ biggest scandal from more than a decade ago involving the popular Kaycee Mitchell and her closest friends—just before Kaycee disappeared for good. Abby knows the key to solving any case lies in the weak spots, the unanswered questions. But as Abby tries to find out what really happened to Kaycee, she unearths an even more disturbing secret—a ritual called “The Game,” which will threaten the reputations, and lives, of the community and risk exposing a darkness that may consume her. With tantalizing twists, slow-burning suspense, and a remote, rural town of just five claustrophobic miles, Bonfire is a dark exploration of the question: can you ever outrun your past?(goodreads.com)

Why I Want to Check it Out

I am a big fan of reading books by debut authors. It is super fun and exciting to me- you never know what to expect and it might be a new favorite. I also love a good twisty slow burn novel. And also there is the fact that that this book is written by an actress that I really enjoy ( her role on Breaking Bad in particular) and so that probably enters into my interest, but I also think the premise of this book is one what I would pick up regardless and I hope to read it soon!


The Unremembered Girl
by Eliza Maxwell

goodreads // amazon // library

In the deep woods of East Texas, Henry supports his family by selling bootleg liquor. It’s all he can do to keep his compassionate but ailing mother and his stepfather—a fanatical grassroots minister with a bruising rhetoric—from ruin. But they have no idea they’ve become the obsession of the girl in the woods. Abandoned and nearly feral, Eve has been watching them, seduced by the notion of family—something she’s known only in the most brutal sense. Soon she can’t resist the temptation to get close. Where Henry’s mother sees a poor girl in need, his father sees only wickedness. When Henry forges an unexpected bond with Eve, he believes he might be able to save her. He doesn’t know how wrong he is. Eve is about to take charge of her own destiny—and that of Henry’s family. As both their worlds spin violently out of control, Henry must make an impossible choice: protect the broken young woman who’s claimed a piece of his soul, or put everyone he loves at risk in order to do the right thing. (goodreads.com)

Why I Want to Check it Out

LOVE the premise of this book and I am really intrigued to see how it all works out. For better or worse, I can't help but look at early reviews of intriguing books on Goodreads, and currently the reviews for "The Unremembered Girl" are pretty mixed between absolutely loved it and hated it. The reviews on Amazon however are less so, and I think this is one I want to take a chance on. Plus it helps that it is set in Texas, my home state.


Beasts of Extraordinary Circustmance
by Ruth Emmie Lang

goodreads // amazon // library

Orphaned, raised by wolves, and the proud owner of a horned pig named Merlin, Weylyn Grey knew he wasn’t like other people. But when he single-handedly stopped that tornado on a stormy Christmas day in Oklahoma, he realized just how different he actually was. That tornado was the first of many strange events that seem to follow Weylyn from town to town, although he doesn’t like to take credit. As amazing as these powers may appear, they tend to manifest themselves at inopportune times and places. From freak storms to trees that appear to grow over night, Weylyn’s unique abilities are a curiosity at best and at worst, a danger to himself and the woman he loves. But Mary doesn’t care. Since Weylyn saved her from an angry wolf on her eleventh birthday, she’s known that a relationship with him isn’t without its risks, but as anyone who’s met Weylyn will tell you, once he wanders into your life, you’ll wish he’d never leave. Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance tells the story of Weylyn Grey’s life from the perspectives of the people who knew him, loved him, and even a few who thought he was just plain weird. Although he doesn’t stay in any of their lives for long, he leaves each of them with a story to tell. Stories about a boy who lives with wolves, great storms that evaporate into thin air, fireflies that make phosphorescent honey, and a house filled with spider webs and the strange man who inhabits it. There is one story, however, that Weylyn wishes he could change: his own. But first he has to muster enough courage to knock on Mary’s front door. In this warm debut novel, Ruth Emmie Lang teaches us about adventure and love in a beautifully written story full of nature and wonder.

Why I Want to Check it Out

This book actually has a lot of things I typically try to avoid in books- so I'm kind of shocked that it is on my list! BUT the reviews and premise sucked me back in, with words like "charm" "brains" and "heart". Plus that title and the cover! LOVE IT! Also, the storytelling set up for "Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance" is unique and could be a strength as well, as it is told from the perspective of other people who knew Weylyn.

Little Broken Things
by Nicole Baart

goodreads // amazon // library

An engrossing and suspenseful novel for fans of Liane Moriarty and Amy Hatvany about an affluent suburban family whose carefully constructed facade starts to come apart with the unexpected arrival of an endangered young girl. I have something for you. When Quinn Cruz receives that cryptic text message from her older sister Nora, she doesn’t think much of it. They haven’t seen each other in nearly a year and thanks to Nora’s fierce aloofness, their relationship consists mostly of infrequent phone calls and an occasional email or text. But when a haunted Nora shows up at the lake near Quinn's house just hours later, a chain reaction is set into motion that will change both of their lives forever. Nora’s “something” is more shocking than Quinn could have ever imagined: a little girl, cowering, wide-eyed, and tight-lipped. Nora hands her over to Quinn with instructions to keep her safe, and not to utter a word about the child to anyone, especially not their buttoned-up mother who seems determined to pretend everything is perfect. But before Quinn can ask even one of the million questions swirling around her head, Nora disappears, and Quinn finds herself the unlikely caretaker of a girl introduced simply as Lucy. While Quinn struggles to honor her sister’s desperate request and care for the lost, scared Lucy, she fears that Nora may have gotten involved in something way over her head—something that will threaten them all. But Quinn’s worries are nothing compared to the firestorm that Nora is facing. It’s a matter of life and death, of family and freedom, and ultimately, about the lengths a woman will go to protect the ones she loves. (goodreads.com)

Why I Want to Check it Out

"Little Broken Things" is being compared to "Big Little Lies" and I am such a sucker for the - if you liked this, than you should read this book- ploy. Almost every time I am disappointed, but it sucks me in still! I did really enjoy "Big Little Lies"... Also, I feel like I am seeing a recurring theme this month with semi feral childrenas main characters, what's that about!?! I am really intrigued by the relationship between the little girl, Lucy, and the sisters. Where did she come from and why is it important that she stay hidden? What has Nora gotten herself mixed up into?



The Revolution of Marina M.
by Janet Fitch

goodreads // amazon // library

St. Petersburg, New Year's Eve, 1916. Marina Makarova is a young woman of privilege who aches to break free of the constraints of her genteel life, a life about to be violently upended by the vast forces of history. Swept up on these tides, Marina will join the marches for workers' rights, fall in love with a radical young poet, and betray everything she holds dear, before being betrayed in turn. As her country goes through almost unimaginable upheaval, Marina's own coming-of-age unfolds, marked by deep passion and devastating loss, and the private heroism of an ordinary woman living through extraordinary times. This is the epic, mesmerizing story of one indomitable woman's journey through some of the most dramatic events of the last century. (goodreads.com)

Why I Want to Check it Out

There isn't too much to go off of from the description of the book, but this one definitely interests me! Mostly because I am not at all familiar with Russian history, it's like a history blindspot for me, and I am intrigued by a historical fiction book set there. I think I would read this more for the history than for the characters, but who knows maybe it will surprise me!

Almost Midnight: Two Short Stories
by Rainbow Rowell

goodreads // amazon // library

Almost Midnight by Rainbow Rowell is a beautiful gift edition containing two wintery short stories, decorated throughout for the first time with gorgeous black and white illustrations by Simini Blocker. Midnights is the story of Noel and Mags, who meet at the same New Year's Eve party every year and fall a little more in love each time . . . Kindred Spirits is about Elena, who decides to queue to see the new Star Wars movie and meets Gabe, a fellow fan. Midnights was previously published as part of the My True Love Gave to Me anthology, edited by Stephanie Perkins and Kindred Spirits was previously published as a World Book Day title.

Why I Want to Check it Out

Well, mostly I am just bummed. I love Rainbow Rowell's writing and I can not wait for her to write another novel - but in the mean time, this short story duo will do and while I would usually gleefully preorder anything by Rowell, I will probably just check this one out at the library. Rainbow is also one of the few authors I can handle fantasy from, so I am excited to read "Midnights" in particular!

What books are you excited to see release this November?! Any awesome and exciting new releases that I missed!? Let me know down below in the comments. Thanks for reading!






1 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read Artemis-- it's been far too long since I read something by Andy Weir!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!