Saturday, June 23, 2018

My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout - Book Review



"My Name is Lucy Barton" follows main character Lucy after she recovers from surgical complications after an appendectomy. Her mother comes to visit her in the hospital. Lucy and her mother have a very strained relationship and they haven't spoken in years. Big chunks of the book are conversations between Lucy and her mother as they are reconnecting and Lucy's reflections on that - as well as Lucy reflecting on her other relationships - her husband, children, and her professional career. I'm pretty sure this is the most character driven book that I have ever read. It is also one of those books that relies heavily on the reader enjoying the artistic choices of the author. "My Name is Lucy Barton" is part poetry, but also part bizarre ramble - and then, for me, there were also these glimpses of brilliance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!