Saturday, August 25, 2018

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - Book Review



This book was so long! And the font was so small! "American Gods" follows Shadow who recently got out of prison, and his life is kind of a disaster. Shadow meets a man named Wednesday, who is actually a god ( of the traditional Norse gods, he is their leader). He has decided to battle the American gods like globalization and the media - it's a lot to unpack. On the one hand I totally get why people like this - it was unique and it was sharp. But I felt like I was missing "the joke" through a lot of it. I'm not very familiar with Norse mythology, and if you aren't either, just now that there aren't going to be that many hat tips in the book to let you know what's going on. I'm sure Gaiman was doing something clever on every single pahe, and I was missing it. I did appreciate parts of his writing style though, and look forward to reading other Gaiman novels in the future. Have you read "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman? Let me know down below in the comments what you reading experience was like for the book!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!