Thursday, August 23, 2018

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - Book Review



"The Handmaid's Tale" follows a woman that we know as Offred, or Of Fred ( her name relates to the main that "owns" her, yikes) she is a handmaid in a dystopian future where... and this book really doesn't make it clear exactly what has happened, we'll get more into that later, but through a combination of man made, and other circumstances, birth rates are down. And so this system has been put into place where women who are able to conceive and have proven that they can have children are basically used as machine for that purpose - it is awful. I think this story is fascinating and the messages within it are very important, but the way that it was carried out and my reading experience of it were just, meh. The way the world is built is so broken and implausible that it was really hard for me to enjoy the book in just a sense of learning and enjoying the metaphors for society. There were many quotable moments moments that I really enjoyed and I think the book is worth reading for that. Have you read "The Handmaid's Tale"? Let me know what you thought of it below!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!