Wednesday, September 19, 2018

America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie - Book Review


"America's First Daughter" by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie is a historical fiction novel that follows the life of Martha Jefferson, which is Thomas Jefferson's oldest daughter. You learn a lot about Martha reading this book, and really the most striking thing to me about this novel was just how well researched it clearly was, while still maintaining a really interesting narrative voice - it never felt like a textbook. There wasn't a note about that research though until the end of the book, which was over 600 pages for me. And I've always found that super frustrating, anybody else? Because the entire time I am reading a historical fiction novel I am thinking - is this real, did this really happen? The authors did take some liberties with history and I will leave a note below about my thoughts on those. Have you read America's First Daughter? Let me know what you thought of it below in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. I love historical fiction, and I always like when the author can incorporate the research without it sounding like an info-dump or a textbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Angela. It really takes me out of the story when the facts aren't woven in but are just dumped on you. It can be tough to pull off well, but when it is done right is makes for such an interesting read!

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!