Sunday, August 28, 2016

BOOK REVIEW// THE GIRLS BY EMMA CLINE


This is definitely a book I picked up for one reason - BUZZ. This book was all over #bookstagram so I just had to check it out. And like most books that I read because of the buzz, I was disappointed.

Summary from goodreads.com

Northern California, during the violent end of the 1960s. At the start of summer, a lonely and thoughtful teenager, Evie Boyd, sees a group of girls in the park, and is immediately caught by their freedom, their careless dress, their dangerous aura of abandon. Soon, Evie is in thrall to Suzanne, a mesmerizing older girl, and is drawn into the circle of a soon-to-be infamous cult and the man who is its charismatic leader. Hidden in the hills, their sprawling ranch is eerie and run down, but to Evie, it is exotic, thrilling, charged—a place where she feels desperate to be accepted. As she spends more time away from her mother and the rhythms of her daily life, and as her obsession with Suzanne intensifies, Evie does not realize she is coming closer and closer to unthinkable violence, and to that moment in a girl’s life when everything can go horribly wrong.



What I Liked

It's just all so believable. Cults are of course a very real and very scary part of our past and future, but the path of the main character is pretty accessible- a young girl getting sucked into a terrible situation like the main character, Evie, did is a familiar story. Every step of the way you know Evie is making risky decisions, even she seems to know she is playing with fire- but at the end of the day she is lonely, or confused, or mad and that emotion trumps logic.

I loved the writing style, at parts - read more below. There were a lot of great quotes from the book that have stuck with me. One of my favorites -

“That was our mistake, I think. One of many mistakes. To believe that boys were acting with a logic that we could someday understand. To believe that their actions had any meaning beyond thoughtless impulse. We were like conspiracy theorists, seeing portent and intention in every detail, wishing desperately that we mattered enough to be the object of planning and speculation. But they were just boys. Silly and young and straightforward; they weren't hiding anything.” 

I also enjoyed the layout of the story. While the majority of the book is about 14 year old Evie, there are also chapters that follow an older, middle aged Evie. Each story line gave the other context, and I love the way the book played out because of that structure.

What I Didn't Like 

Maybe it's the nine years of Catholic school under my chastity belt, I dunno - but this book definitely had an uncomfortable level of sex scenes. Totally a personal preference, but like one or two per a book is my comfort level. So, if that makes you uncomfortable or just isn't your taste - I definitely recommend skipping this one.

The primary reason I did not enjoy The Girls was the writing. There are *many* parts of the book that feel very over written. It wasn't too difficult for me to push past it but it just kept happening! Overall it was frustrating and definitely took away from my enjoyment of the book.

Have you read The Girls yet? What did you think? Let me know below in the comments! Considering reading it? Click the link below to find a copy at your local library.

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/907585910

2 comments:

  1. I requested this at the library and waited for weeks. Then my husband was at the library and they gave it to him (it's a small library and they know everyone) and told him it was the "book of the summer." He didn't realize I'd requested it, took it home, read a little, decided it wasn't for him ... and returned it. I guess I should request it again, but maybe I'll just skip it altogether.

    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, husbands! lol we are totally on the same page with explicit scenes in books. this took it to another level by the way, as most of the scenes were between a 14 year old girl, and an older woman or man. While it certainly served a purpose in the book, as one would hope- 14 year olds and sex scenes just aren't my thing ; )

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!