Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Ten Books I Read Because of #bookstagram - Top Ten Tuesday





Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  Each week there is a new theme, and this week the theme is books you were recommended to read. Nothing I can think of has had a larger effect on my TBR pile than the ever popular Instagram rabbit hole/time suck that is #bookstagram. Whether it was a beautiful picture, a breath taking quote, an awesome review, or just a collection of a thousand of the same posts all shouting "read me!" - here are ten books I have read because of #bookstagram!





Me Before You

"Me Before You" by JoJo Moyes was probably one of my first #bookstagram reads. When I first landed on the #bookstagram scene, it seemed like this book was everywhere and everyone was gushing about it. I knew it was going to be an emotional read - and it definitely it was! I haven't watched the movie yet, but I am sure that I will soon - better stock up on some tissues first, though!

This Savage Song
@lithgraphy           @kay_reads           @_bookedforlife_
"This Savage Song" by Victoria Schwab is one of my most recent #bookstagram reads. I was definitely intrigued by the strong fall vibes from this book, the swoopy hand lettering on the cover, and all of the violins and sheet music. Check out my review of the book here!

Room
@addypolet                @thesealshelf                @b_cunning

Sometimes #bookstagram knocks you over with one hundred pictures of the same book, and then other times it is like a gentle nudge. I'll continually see a book and be reminded each time to give it a chance, and that was definitely the case with "Room". I saw the movie before reading the book (which I never do!) and loved it so I knew I had to read the book, and #bookstagram confirmed. I absolutely loved this book, check out my review here.

Lily & The Octopus
@berkeleylfl                @girlaboutlibrary                @fictionjungle

Oh my goodness this book! Typically, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but this book is just as cute and teary as its cover suggests! "Lily and the Octopus" was everywhere on #bookstagram and I have no regrets about following the hype- totally lives up it to, in my opinion. From beginning to end I loved thsi book, and I can't wait to see what this author writes next. Check out my review here!

The Nest
@dreambyday_bookreviews                @nantucketbooks                @girlaboutlibrary

The cover for "The Nest" is definitely eye catching, so it is no surprise that is was frequently featured on #bookstagram. This beautiful book was a quick read that I had trouble putting down at times! I really grew to love the characters- maybe someday there will be a sequel? A girl can hope! Check out my review here.

The Girls
@adventuresthruneverland                @fae_reads                @girlaboutlibrary

Sometimes #bookstagram reads are so full of hype, that the let down leads to a reading slump. Such was the case for me after reading "The Girls" by Emma Cline. I was drawn not only to the pictures of this book, but also to the quotes included as well. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this book for a couple of reasons. Check out my review here to see why.

All The Light We Cannot See
@bookishmema                 @sama.reads               @slamybooks

Another beautiful cover, and an even more beautiful book inside!I absolutely adored "All The Light We Cannot See". I do not hand out five star reviews to very many books, but this one definitely earned it! I love that I continue to see beautiful pictures of this wonderful novel on #bookstagram every day. This was such a great read and I definitely recommend it to adult historical fiction lovers as well as YA fans.

Miss Peregrine's
  @jaybjaybooks                @littlelibrarie               @adixon1027

There are hardly enough fingers or toes in the world to count the number of times I have seen this book on #bookstagram! It just seems like it is everywhere. I don't typically read YA- but when I see the same book pop up that many times, I get curious! I gave this book a chance, and while it wasn't for me- I definitely understand why others have loved it.

Everything I Never Told You


@sorareads               @dylannreads           @sayingitoutloud

Much like "Room" this book was more of a gentle nudge. I was really intrigued by the cover- the deep blue cover with a girl swimming across or the scraps of paper cover. After reading a summary I quickly added it to my TBR and it didn't spend much time there before I picked up a copy at the library. This book was suspenseful, moving, and I definitely recommend it. Check out my review of this book here.

What books have you read because of #bookstagram? Did you love the read or we you disappointed after the hype? Let me know below!

29 comments:

  1. Great take on the Top Ten Tuesday. I don't follow Bookstagram much, but maybe I need to. I really enjoyed Room and want to read This Savage Song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's a lot of fun! Glad you enjoyed "Room". I wasn't a fan of "This Savage Song" but I can understand why others have enjoyed it. Let me know what you thought when you finish!

      Delete
  2. Yes! Pictures of books can really influence me, I don't even think I thought about that much before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! I'm totally a sucker for a good cover, so pictures of good covers get me every time. Glad to hear I'm not alone : )

      Delete
  3. Wow! Some GREAT books here!! I love Bookstagrams and Book Bentos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So neat that you call them that, I'd never heard the term book bento before - but that's definitely what they are! Learn something new everyday : )

      Delete
  4. This Savage Song is perfect for fall! I still need to finish Lily and the Octopus, but I just know it's going to destroy me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tears for days, after ready "lily & The Octopus" - but totally worth it : )

      Delete
  5. I've seen so many of the similar books as well. The only one I've read is Me Before You. Please check out our TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - I'll definitely check it out.

      Delete
  6. I love looking at bookstagrams. Sometimes I'm more taken by the beautiful artistry of the photos than the books themselves, to be honest! But I find out about new books all the time :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, some of the pictures are amazing! The hours I have spent looking at pretty book pictures, lol probably could've used that time to read :/

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I love your take on this week's theme! I love seeing the different book covers - fascinating to see what publishers think different audiences will gravitate to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! I agree, I'm such a sucker for a good cover and some publishers know just want their audience is looking for!

      Delete
  8. Interesting! These accounts actually look different than the ones I follow, which all kind of use the same design ideas. Love it!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! Yeah bookstagram can be a bit of a sea of the same after a while. I like to mix up my feed with different types of readers- age, sex, region, reading preferences. Keeps it interesting : )

      Delete
  9. What a fun twist on this week's topic, Katie. I love it. Also, there are some seriously amazing photos in this post. Me Before You is one I'd like to read which is why I've held off seeing the movie - trying to be "good" and read the book first! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and way to go, Rissi! I know the temptation is a hard one to fight! lol

      Delete
  10. I love how you made this all about bookstagram!! Some of the pictures posted on there are so gorgeous that it's made me want to read books I never thought I'd be interested in. I love your picks, and definitely found several to add to my tbr list :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely *adored* Room when I read it. I started it at 12am and read it in one sitting. My sleep schedule was messy for weeks haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I can definitely relate! If there is a book to have a messed up sleep schedule for, that one is worth it!

      Delete
  12. I end up reading books because of Bookstagram constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me Before You is sitting somewhere on my bookshelf, waiting to be read. I think that's one that I'll definitely have to wait until I'm in the mood for an emotional book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Darlene! It's an emotional rollercoaster.

      Delete
  14. I need to follow the accounts you're following, all these pictures definitely would convince me too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This Savage Song definitely has the artsy fall aesthetic that makes really good bookstagram pictures! I wish we had that cover in the UK - I love it much more than the edition I have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is SUCH a fun twist to this topic! I must say, I don't think I have actually discovered any new books on bookstagram, but I have wanted to own books more desperately after seeing their beauty! And I LOOOVE that you shared these pictures, I love them all! I am always looking for great accounts to follow, so now I can find myself down the rabbit hole of new bookstagrammers, yay! Such an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!