Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Ten Authors I Read For The First Time In 2016 - Top Ten Thursday

Schwab, Cline, Paris, Colin, Rowley, and more - 2016 was a great year for discovering new authors!
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week there is a new theme, and this week the theme is new to me authors read for the first time in 2016. I cheated, slightly, a few of the authors below are actually debut authors, so they are new to everyone- yay!




Victoria Schwab 
This Savage Song

This book was totally outside of my comfort zone, and definitely a #bookstagram inspired read.  Which in a way really sums up the year for me - my first (half) year blogging and participating in the online book reader community. Back to the book! There were things about "This Savage Song" that I enjoyed ( world building), and other aspects that I didn't ( fantasy is always rough for me) but I am glad that I tried something new. Despite my minor beefs with this book, I really enjoyed Victoria Schwab's writing style overall and plan on reading more books by this author.

---my review---

Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017  - A Darker Shade of Magic  I've heard good things about this series and I hope I really enjoy it! I like that this particular series is geared towards an adult audience, and I'm curious how it might compare to "This Savage Song" which is a YA book.

Beatrice Colin
To Capture What We Cannot Keep

Romance, Paris, and a dash of history! I really enjoyed reading " To Capture What We Cannot Keep". Beatrice Colin created many interesting and well developed characters, and a subtle but sincere relationship to root for - my favorite kind of romance. Swoon! 

---my review--

Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017 - no plans just yet, but I do have an eye on her previous novel The Glimmer Palace


Jen Hatmaker
7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

I absolutely loved this book and still think of it often! After taking in several hurricane victims, Jen Hatmaker realized just how excessive her upper middle class lifestyle had become. In an attempt to get a hold of this- Jen, her husband, and her children, chose seven different areas they could reduce ( Food. Clothes. Spending. Media. Possessions. Waste. Stress.) Focusing on a different area each month, the family realized just how reliant they had become on some things, and also how easy and fulfilling it was to release other things. This book was incredibly inspirational and I highly recommend it. On a side note, large sections of this book are related to the Bible, so if that isn't your jam- this proubably isn't a good read for you. But the principles of avoiding consumerism and valuing your blessings in life is certainly a lesson we can all appreciate!

--- my review---

Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017 - Considering how much I enjoyed reading "7", I definitely want to read another book by Jen Hatmaker. Her most recent book For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards is a book I would love to read in 2017.


Paul Kalanithi
When Breath Becomes Air


I simply could not make this list without including 'When Breath Becomes Air". This book is just so beautifully written and the message and lessons have stayed with me all year. I actually started out listening to this book, and stopped by my library to pick up a physical copy because I felt like listening to it alone just wasn’t doing it justice! "When Breath becomes Air" is as inspiring as it is devastating and if you enjoy reading memoirs or essays, I highly recommend it.

---my review---

Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017 - Dr. Paul Kalanithi died before the publication of his book. From reading his book, I was incredibly moved by his writing and his wife's final chapter in the book. I hope to find a book to read in 2017 that is as inspirational and touching.


Alexandra Oliva
The Last One

This book was such a surprise for me! I really didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book, but it was such a treat. The author, Alexandra Oliva, did an awesome job in "The Last One" with storytelling and world building. Doing those two things was crucial for me as a reader. I'm not great at suspending disbelief, but Alexandra Oliva's writing completly captured my imagination and felt very real. "The Last One" follows Zoo, a female competitor on a reality series, who refuses to quit no matter how dire her situation. As the reader, you know much more than Zoo does about her own situation- that Zoo isn't in "reality" show danger, but real danger.

---my review---

Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017 - I was shocked to find out that this is Alexandra Oliva's first published book, and I can not wait to read her future books!


Celeste Ng
Everything I Never Told You

Another #bookstagram inspired read, "Everything I Never Told You" was such a joy to read.  This book really made me question how our personal dreams and wishes influence relationships with our family and friends. What happens to our relationships when we project all of our unhappiness, all of our insecurities, and all of our aspirations onto another person - particularly our children? That central question is asked of us again and again while reading "Everything I Never Told You". I really enjoyed reading this book and was blown away by the storytelling!

---my review---

Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017 - Again, an amazing novel from a debut author - Celeste Ng does not have any other books published at the moment. Can't wait to read what she writes next!


7. Emma Cline
The Girls
Although "The Girls" wasn't one my favorite reads of the year, I included it because despite my feelings about the book, I know that I would read another book by Emma Cline. There was a lot to like about "The Girls", and I think a lot of my dislike of the book boils down to it's an uncomfortable level of sex scenes. Totally a personal preference, but like one or two per a book is my comfort level. So, if that makes you uncomfortable or just isn't your taste - I definitely recommend skipping this one. Putting that aside, the writing in many places of this book was excellent and something I would like to experience again.

---my review---

Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017 - Another debut author killing it this year, hope to read another book by Emma Cline soon!


8. B.A. Paris
Behind Closed Doors
Gooseys for days after reading this book! I hardly ever read "scary" books, but I really loved "Behind Closed Doors". This book is a scary and unique story about a perfect marriage that is anything but... I actually had a really hard time describing "Behind Closed Doors" to other people because there are so many important details, but at the same time you don't want to give away too much! But if you are looking for a scary read this is a great one!

---my review---
 
Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017 - B.A. Paris has a new novel releasing June 2017 titled, The Breakdown. This book sounds just as spooky and suspenseful as "Behind Closed Doors" and I can't wait to read it!


Steven Rowley
Lily & The Octopus

"Lily & The Octopus" and it's author Steven Rowley are absolutely my favorite book discovery of the year. This book is amazing and it is due to the amazingly talented awesomeness in Steven Rowley's writing. I fell in love with Lily and her owner/ best friend Ted. I laughed and cried and felt all of the feelings! If you're looking for a great read, I definitely recommend this book - many tissues needed!

---my review---

Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017 -Please, please let there be a new book of Steven Rowley;s to read in 2017! I have my fingers crossed. He posted to Instagram shortly after " Lily & The Octopus" was published in front of his laptop working- and I will be the first in line at my bookstore when it comes out!


Emma Donoghue
Room
"Room" was published in 2011, and why I wanted so long to read this amazing book I will never know! While the suspense and plot of this book are fascinating, for me - the love of this book was completly in it's heart wrenching writing. A bold choice, "Room" is narrated by a five year old named Jack. Donoghue craftily sets the scene and the turbulent emotions of the story through these naive, scared, and ultimately hopeful eyes. If you haven't read it yet, "Room" is excellent and I definitely recommend it!

---my review---

Book I Hope to Read by this Author in 2017 - A copy of Donoghue's newest novel, "The Wonder",  has been sitting on my Kindle for a few weeks now, and I have a sinking feeling I won't be able to read it until the new year. This book has excellent reviews so far and I am sure it will be a great read!

What authors were new to you in 2016? Like me, did you read a lot of debut authors? Who was your favorite new author that you discovered this year? Let me know below! Interested in reading any of the books I mentioned? Click on the cover images to view that book's page on Amazon.com!



21 comments:

  1. Ooh, I just bought Lily and the Octopus, so I'm excited to hear how much you enjoyed it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suzanne, I am so excited for you! I think it is an amazing book, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great list, Katie! I am really interested in reading This Savage Song…like you, I got interested through the #bookstagram community. I’ve never heard of To Capture What We Cannot Keep but that definitely sounds like something I’d enjoy. I love it when I can travel through books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, Katie! I haven't read any of the authors you mentioned tbh LOL since I tend to go for books by authors I already read before, but I'm trying to change that so this is a great list to start for me! I especially am curious about Everything I Never Told You so I hope I get to read that soon-ish!

    For me, my favorite author discovery this year is Leigh Bardugo, I can't believe I picked up her books only now when my friends have been telling me to read her even way back. She's fantastic and her books are so exciting and imaginative, I can't wait to read more from her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these authors yet, but To Capture What We Cannot Keep is on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. VE Schwab is on my list too! I ABSOLUTELY ADORED This Savage Song! I even have the first two books in her Shades of Magic series on my Physical TBR and hopefully, I'll get to it this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm yet to read any of these authors! This Savage Song is high on my TBR though so I guess I'll be reading it soon :) Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Savage Song was *everywhere* on bookstagram for a while- craziness. It wasn't my favorite read of the year, but I know a lot of people really enjoyed it! Traveling through books is amazing - the author did a great job bringing Paris to me here in Texas : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved " Everything I Never Told You", and I hope you do, too! I've heard great things about Leigh Bardugo's books, and while I don't read YA often- Shadow and Bone is definitely at the top of the list of YA books I want to read. Hopefully in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aditi, I'm excited to see what you think of them! This Savage Song wasn't my favorite read, but then I don't tend to like YA fantasy. I'm excited to get her adult fiction a try though~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want and at the same time do not want to read When Breath Becomes Air. It sounds truly beautiful but also heartbreaking. On a lighter note, I read Victoria Schwab for the first time this year as well and she really should have made my list. My first experience with her was A Darker Shade of Magic and it was very good (though I wouldn't recommend it on audio).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa @ Bookshelf FantasiesDecember 11, 2016 at 6:17 PM

    Great post! I love that you included your 2017 wishlist items for these authors too. Lily & the Octopus looks adorable -- I've been meaning to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you have included what you want to read in 2017 from the new to you authors. I have heard of a couple of them but not read them. Hope the next ones live up to your enjoyment of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit I've not read anything by any of these authors except Victoria Schwab (whom I love). Some of them sound great though (especially Room by Emma Donoghue)! I would also recommend Vicious by Schwab.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so hope you'll enjoy A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab! I also just discovered her writing this year, by reading that series, and I fell in love <3 Haven't read This Savage Song yet, but I hope to do so in 2017 :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen such mixed reviews of The Girls. I decided to give that one a pass. But Behind Closed Doors is on my TBR. I actually have it on hold right now on my libraray's Overdrive app so I hope to have it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's awesome, Tanya! i hope you enjoy it. Passing on The Girls is probably a smart move.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me too, Lindsey! It's on the very top of my TBR for 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Aylee - I'll definitely give Vicious a look! Room was a great read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!