Thursday, November 9, 2017

Reading Wrap Up // October 2017

I read four books this month.. and it would seem like October wasn't a good reading month for me if you just looked at the number of books I read, but who cares if I only read four books this month!?! Actually - me, I care, and I talked about why I think my reading was so low this month in a video. Check it out here. Regardless, I picked some winners this October and really enjoyed all of the books I did manage to read! Keep reading to find out about the awesome books I read in October, or watch the video above!


Reading Wrap Up




Turtles All The Way Down
by John Green

goodreads // amazon // library

OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH! It's a rare day that I show up at the bookstore before it even opens - but I was first in line for this book... there wasn't much of a line, just me, and I'm pretty sure the bookstore employees think I'm a weirdo - or awesome, whatever ; ) I really enjoyed reading "Turtles All The Way Down" in large part because it was liberating to hear your personal struggles verbalized and given legitimacy in that way. It reminded me of the feeling I had after reading "Quiet" by Susan Cain, an excellent non fiction book about being introverted. The feelings and pain that you feel are just as real as more obvious types of pain, even if they aren't visible- but it does make the discomfort of OCD and anxiety or being introverted incredibly difficult to describe. My only regret about "Turtles All The Way Down" was how quickly I read it, I definitely need to re read it ASAP. Check out the 60 second book review I created for "Turtles All The Way Down" below!




Station Eleven 
by Emily St. John Mandel
 
goodreads // amazon // library

This was one of the best written books I have read all year. "Station Eleven" is such a unique post apocalyptic novel because the author writes so beautifully and gently about a topic that is usually more for shock value - how scary can I make this viral apocalypse, or how devastating or gory? I much prefer Mandel's take and it created a wonderful story. My favorite part about this book and the think that I think will stick with me the longest was how important creativity and art were to the survivors. Part of the story follows a group of traveling actors and their motto was "Survival is insufficient." And I absolutely agree! Even in the most difficult of times we crave and create art because it gives us meaning and purpose. "Station Eleven" is a beautiful book with an important message. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it!


Final Girls
by Riley Sager

goodreads // amazon // library


"Final Girls" was my Book of the Month club pick during the summer, but I saved it for October as my spooky read. After finishing it, I have mixed feelings and  gave "Final Girls" 3/5 stars. I did really enjoy the twists in the plot, but overall the book didn't leave much of an impact and isn't one that I would recommend. I don't even really have that much to say about, which is typical of thrillers that are 3 stars. I don't want to ruin the plot for those who do plan to read it, and I hope other readers enjoy the twists as much as I did. Interested to see what Riley Sager writes next!



He Said/ She Said
by Erin Kelly

goodreads // amazon // library

I was super intrigued by the premise of "He Said/ She Said" and read it without reading any other reviews - which is pretty rare for me. The book seemed so inherently problematic, how could the plot be built around a couple doubting whether a woman was telling them the truth, including whether she was actually raped? I was pleasantly surprised by this book however, the author did a great job handling that difficult topic. AND THE TWISTS! ohem goodness the twists in this book! This isn't a quick thriller read, but the last 100 or so pages were super twisty and exciting. I gave this book 4/5 stars - i really enjoyed reading it, but it did feel a little long in parts. The pay off for the epic twists was totally worth it, in my opinion! You can read the first 10 chapters of "He Said/ She Said" for free through Kindle! Click here to get your sample.


And that was my reading month! Here is hoping for a more book filled November. Let me know below about your great, or not so great, reads in the month of October!

4 comments:

  1. I also really liked Turtles and Station Eleven! I hope you’re having a great November.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Station Eleven sounds like an interesting post-apocalyptic tale!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!