Monday, February 26, 2018

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson - Book Review



This non fiction book covers a wide range of topics in the field of astrophysics. And for someone who is not in the field of astrophysics professionally, or even as a hobby, I feel like this book covered a lot of information in a fairly deep manner, in a hurry - but it didn't provide a lot of how and why for the field, which negatively affected my reading experience. I tried to listen to the audiobook, because Neil deGrasse Tyson reading this to me should be a pleasure, but nope - couldn't do it! This book is under two hundred pages, but as I was reading it I had to go over each page two or three times. Until reading this I don't think I had a full appreciation for just how abstract all of these ideas are and how hard it is to wrap your brain around them. I do think I learned a lot from reading this book though and enjoyed the experience when I felt that the information was explained in an accessible manner!


2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, although I do agree some of the concepts can get very abstract and it was hard for me to even comprehend some of the ideas! It's just amazing how far science has come and yet how much we still don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Totally agree. A great read, but also one that I could read over and over and never fully "get". I kept thinking - how do you know that!?! I had a hard time moving past an idea, or accepting it, without an explanation. I mean I believe them lol, but I was just so baffled by - how do you know that!? each time I came upon a new idea in the book.

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! If you are a blogger as well, please be sure to leave a link to your blog- I'd love to visit!